Disclaimer :

Disclaimer : More than half of it(contents of my blog) is fiction and intended only for entertainment. Not meant to be hurtful at all but if one or the other way it feels like that then it's purely unintentional and I hope for forgiveness !

January 18, 2016

Professor Snape - A retelling of Beauty and the Beast

The child in everyone never dies or at least in most of us, otherwise Harry Potter series wouldn't be that big a hit, isn't it? That's the best thing about us, we believe miracles happen, magic happens and there's a happy ending to everything that happens. I guess that's why HP series appeal to us, in more than one ways. 

The first tragic death was that of Sirius Black. I mourned his death for days and my eyes start welling up every time I read 'The Order of the Phoenix' or watch that movie. If only Rowling could bring back the unfortunately defamed soul who had very short time to live his life before throwing himself at the sacrificing altar to save his godson. That was followed by Dumbledore in the next book. Rowling has no idea what happens to the one who reads it while she strategically takes away the legend and leaves us stranded on a mystery island. Oh Rowling how cruel are you? But bringing him back, even for only a couple of pages, did assure me that he could come back whenever he wanted. A legend, like himself ,will live forever or choose to die at their own will. Well, what a relief! He's like our Grand Regent.

Sadly, there are no tears shed, neither the heart bled nor any words said when a helpless Snape is bitten to death by nagini. His mortifying look, cold gaze and shady character didn't make the reader feel depressed, not at all. I didn't even pause to feel sorry for him but not out of vengeance, let me make it clear. There was no emotion attached to an incident like that which was expected or anticipated. Once his past unfolds before the reader layer by layer, was when I began to feel sorry for the unrequited lover called Severus Snape aka Professor Snape. Besotted he was by Lily Potter, continued to reserve a place in his heart for her even after she was long gone. And that's when my heart goes out to him and that's when Snape's many shades of grey turns to a pearly mystique foggy white. For me, that's another type of 'the beauty and the beast' milieu. 

Alan Rickman, a fine actor who essayed a character role like that, did more justice to him than my imagination could ever. I had no idea that a man who was so handsome and charming could do a stiffly, creepy Snape and send shivers running down the spine. Anybody(read women) who watched Sense and Sensibility was left hallucinating by an overdose of romanticism, of course it's because of  at Col. Brandon and it's needless to say Rickman played Colonel. He's handsome and yet chivalrous! (Is he the kind that my mom warned me against???)

Out of his countless works and performances, I will fondly remember the Colonel and the Professor since both draw similarities in being a quiet besotted unrequited lovers who never professed their feelings but never lost focus on things that needed their attention either.Now I wish there was a Rowling in real life who could bring back the professor from the strong jaws of Nagini, but only this time, there's no Rowling and the Nagini transfigured herself under the guise of carcinogens. 

Mr.Rickman, you will be fondly remembered as a curt Professor Snape with a smile on the face and as Col.Brandon with curling toes!

No comments:

Post a Comment