Disclaimer :

Disclaimer : More than half of it(contents of my blog) is fiction and intended only for entertainment. Not meant to be hurtful at all but if one or the other way it feels like that then it's purely unintentional and I hope for forgiveness !

September 18, 2013

Don't buy a new car, buy an old one. We can drive faster !

" Speed thrills but kills " is the common punch dialogue that seems to appear in every nook and corner. I must  have seen that a million times when we set out for an impulsive road trip to Mysore last weekend. That was first of it kinds for many reasons. One, we had never done anything on impulse since my son was born and two...well, you will know by the end of this post !

Mysore is approximately at a distance of 140km and could be reached in about 3 hours depending on the traffic and weather conditions. My husband was participating in a marathon held in Srirangapatna on Sunday morning and was scheduled to travel alone on the previous night but in the spur of the moment on Saturday evening, after we got back from a long drive on Kanakapura road, we (me and my son) decided to join him. My hubby was only happy about the company if not overwhelmed. He decided to take up the drive and we played along. We left about 4pm and expected to reach by 7pm if we didn't take any pit stops. Mind you, we were driving in the new car which was barely a month old and was due for its first service on the following Monday!  


My little son and I were excited to be in the car as it was our first long drive since our car was delivered. City limits....my gosh! Can someone actually enjoy the drive while trying to escape the potholes,rash drivers and the heavy traffic. I could understand why was it taking a long time to reach the outskirts. Then it was the humid weather that was killing us and I knew a/c would restrict  the speed too.

All these while, I was playing the DJ for my son's and my hubby's requests and I was going through each bill-boards/hoardings appreciating them for the creativity.We were somewhere on the Ramanagaram and Channapatna road when my son saw a group of cyclists who were on their way to Mysore or someplace else. He was excited to see them and waved at them shouting. They responded by smiling and waving back at him while they rode past us !!

He kept quiet for couple minutes before he came up with his theory
Son:  " Appa, next time we will also ride bi-cycles like them. Amma, you and me , all                  three of us."
Appa:  " Why baby? it's tiresome to ride for that long. You need to practice everyday to do        do something like that.
Son:  " But Appa, it's faster than our car. Look they have left us behind, we could also                 reach Mysore faster if we were on our cycles !!!"

It struck to me right then, since my hubby was trying to stay within the speed of 60 it had slowed down so much that I could read all boards and my son could talk to everyone on the road going past us. Just then I knew, it was going to be one long journey !!!!!
And so it was. We reached around 9pm and checked into a hotel. By the time we plopped up on the bed my whole body was killing. 

Then I said it aloud " Speed definitely kills irrespective of the speedometer reading !". 
My son had another theory " Appa, next time don't buy a new car, buy an old one. We can drive faster !" 
My husband just shrugged and hit the sack,next I heard him snoring!

Return was equally painful if not more. We left around 1pm but reached around only 6pm. Thanks to my New car and the Old hubby :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment